Austria 1999 "150th Anniversary of the Federal Geological Institute (The Geological Survey of Austria)"
In the beginning of the 1840s the mineral collections of the Royal and Imperial Court for Coinage and Mining was converted into the Royal and Imperial Museum of Coal and Steel through the support of Wilhelm Haidinger. The Imperial Academy of Sciences was founded in 1846. Even in those days a larger institute for the specific research of geologic conditions throughout the empire was already under consideration. The Geological Survey of Austria, founded in November 1849, represents the geo-management of the public sector of Austria. It is a government organization affiliated to the Federal Ministry of Science, Education and Arts. Its activities are based on the National Law of Research of 2000. Presently its staff comprises 45 scientists with university degree, 34 non scientists and a fluctuating number of non-government personnel (around 40).
More details: http://www.paleophilatelie.eu/description/stamps/austria_1999.html