ORIGINAL LEAF FROM THE SCARCE GERMAN FOLIO EDITION of 1543!
Lot of 2 folio leaves with 3 folio woodcuts.
450 + folio woodcut.
34.3 x 22.2 cm
Fuch’s work and its beautiful illustrations effected a revolution in the natural sciences, comparable to that of Copernicus in astronomy and Vesalius in anatomy, both of which were published the following year, 1543.
To effect this reform accurate illustration and identification was the first requirement and it was to this task that Fuchs addressed himself.
Fuchs employed the best artists then available in Basle: Albrecht Meyer did the drawings, Heinrich Füllmaurer transferred them to the woodblocks, and they were cut by Veit Rudolph Speckle. All three are depicted in the book, the first time that book illustrators are themselves portrayed and named. These illustrations set a new standard for botanical depiction and were some of the most influential in botanical history, being copied for innumerable works well into the 18th century.
Good overall condition. Some fingering to lower right corner and margins. Some marginal staining.
- Einzelnes Blatt
- Anzahl der Bücher
- Botanik, Illustriert, Inkunabeln & Frühdrucke, Naturgeschichte
- Autor/ Illustrator
- Leonhard Fuchs (1501-1566); Albrecht Meyer; Heinrich Füllmaurer
- Lot of 2 Folios - 3 folio Woodcuts on 2 leaves - First State - Mint, Spearmint, Hart’s Tongue Fern
- Erscheinungsjahr (ältestes Objekt)
- Erscheinungsjahr (jüngstes Objekt)
- Erstausgabe in diesem Format
- Anzahl der Seiten
- 34.3×22.2 cm