"Pars Quarta Indiae Orientalis" - Part 4 of De Bry's Petits Voyages
-1st Latin - Theodore De Bry - 1601
- ( , 1-111, TP, (16/21) Illustrations )
-Fair condition overall - Missing Title page and 5 engravings. Complete text. Some toning to pages.
-Book is not bound - Text block is sewn but plates are loose and different sizes
-16 (of 21) Beautiful illustrations
This part contains:
(1) Chapters 45-91 of Linschoten's "Itinerario"
Linschoten's famous account of his time in Goa, published on his return to Holland. It stimulated Dutch exploration of the East, describing the animals, fruits, spices, drugs and precious stones. When first published the work was a sensation as it contained information not previously known.
Chapter titles include:
-Elephant, Rhinoceros, Crocodiles
-Pineapple, Jackfruit, Mangos, Cashew, "Indian fig" (Banana), Durian, Banian tree
-Betel nut, Cannabis, Opium,
-Ginger, cloves, nutmeg, mace, Rhubarb
-Diamonds, Rubies, Emeralds, Pearls
(2) A description of part of Houtman's voyage containing a description of the animals and fruits of the East Indies
Houtman's voyage was the first Dutch expedition to the spice islands. Due to Linschoten's information he sailed through the straight of Sunda, rather than the Malacca straight, to avoid the Portuguese.
(3) Jacob van Neck and Wybrandt van Warwijk - 1598-99.
Van Neck's famous expedition to the spice islands. He brought back one million pounds in weight of pepper and cloves and fueled the Dutch spice trade in Indonesia
- Anzahl der Bücher
- Autor/ Illustrator
- Linschoten / Houtman / Van Neck / De Bry
- Pars Quarta Indiae Orientalis, qua primum varii genieris Animalia, fructus, arbores...
- Erscheinungsjahr (ältestes Objekt)
- Frankfurt, De Bry
- Lose Seiten
- Anzahl der Seiten
- 27×19 cm