“America Pars Quinta”
- Part 5 of De Bry's Grands Voyages
- Benzoni's description of the Americas
- Latin Edition - Theodore De Bry - 1595
- Large Quarto - 34x24cm - Disbound
- TP,Map,3-72,TP,22 (of 22) plates
- Missing the portrait of Columbus
- Complete Plates 22/22 plates
- Includes Map: Rare 1595 map of Mexico (lower margin trimmed with loss of image)
-Text is 1st edition and in good condition. Red border around second half of text section.
-Plates are mainly 2nd edition and are foxed and in poor condition - require restoration.
-Fair condition overall - plates require restoration. Disbound.
The work describes Benzoni's 15 years on the isthmus of America, in Panama and Nicaragua. Benzoni, an Italian, acted as a mediator between different nations. The work describes life of the first nations of Central America.
Benzoni wrote at a time when the Spanish treatment of the Indians was a concern, and described the cruelty of the Spanish towards the Indians and African slaves - the famous "Black legend".
The work is beautifully illustrated with engravings of the Native Americans and Spanish conquistadors. It including images of Nicaraguans dancing, how they held their markets, and made war, and of slaves being harshly treated.
Engravings depict France’s failed efforts to colonise the Southern Americas.
2nd Latin Edition of part 5 the "famous Grands Voyages". Complete apart from Columbus portrait. It would benefit from restoration of the 22 plates and from binding. Interestingly, the plates contain contemporary Spanish annotation
- Anzahl der Bücher
- Autor/ Illustrator
- De Bry / Benzoni
- America pars Quinta
- Erscheinungsjahr (ältestes Objekt)
- Bebilderte Ausgabe
- Frankfurt, De Bry
- Buch ohne Bindung
- tipped in plate- Illustration
- Anzahl der Seiten
- 33×23 cm