Who we are
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every day. The special object you’ve been searching for, or a new and unexpected interest you never thought you’d have: the more you look, the more you’ll find. And at Catawiki, there’s always more to the story.
Our experts value, authenticate and curate everything from automobiles to vintage stamps, so everything you encounter is real and layered with meaning - waiting to be found.
Our mission is to connect passionate enthusiasts with the objects that tell their stories. As Europe’s fastest growing online auction platform, we help over 10 million people discover new treasures every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent!
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 and have since grown to over 650 Catawikians, working across 7 international offices, while maintaining our start-up mentality every step of the way. In December 2020 we received a new €150m investment round led by Permira and are excited to be growing out our team and business further across the world.
What you will do
As an Expert in Art Nouveau and Art Deco, you will be closely involved with evaluating and arranging lots submitted by our users. Using your expert knowledge and your extensive network, you will be responsible for creating attractive auctions every week. Catawiki strives to keep user transactions as transparent and fair as possible, and your expertise and experience play a large part in maintaining this standard; you know better than anyone what items are of interest to our users. You will review lot titles, descriptions, and pictures, and provide users with an estimated value based on this information. If you need to reject a submission, you do so in a professional and courteous manner. Your efforts result in exceptional auctions that bidders will find irresistible. We also expect you to create your own auctions by engaging with your top Sellers and by working with our Sales teams, to attract new Sellers and offer even more choice to our Buyers.
Finally, you’ll also be working together with our Marketing department to be an Art Nouveau and Art Deco evangelist, within and outside of Catawiki. You will be involved in the Marketing plan designed to promote the Catawiki Design department, and you will be interviewed for press articles.
Who are you?
We do not necessarily require any diplomas or experience in similar functions, however, we do require:
- You are an absolute expert in the field of Art Nouveau and Art Deco;
- You have experience in trading related to art nouveau and art deco furniture, ceramics , glass and other works of art;
- Native Level German;
- You have excellent (english) communicative skills;
- Good computer skills;
- Naturally, you have an extensive network of potential sellers and experts in your field;
- You have the diplomatic competence needed to act as mediator in disputes between users
Here’s what we can offer you
This is your chance to become part of a fast but sustainable growing tech company! You will have an exciting role in a young, fast-growing, dynamic & international organisation. You'll be part of an enthusiastic, highly motivated team of 500+ international Catawikians; you'll have big responsibilities and can really create something. Additionally you can expect:
- Working with a top notch team acting on a champions league level in a super complex dynamic environment; you will learn a lot!
- A diverse and international team with over 50 different nationalities.
- Our entrepreneurial environment encourages everyone to take initiative and experiment with new ideas. You’ll actively contribute to the growth of the Catawiki platform.
- Tailor-made trainings to facilitate your personal and professional growth
- The fun part! Our Activity Committee plans everything from ‘CataFooty’ to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes and Boot Camps!
- Stock Options: All Catawikians are granted 100 Stock Options after 12 months of service.
Catawiki is committed to building a diverse company and diverse teams. That includes everyone, no matter your age, ability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from underserved and underrepresented communities. If you’ve got a story to tell, come and join us.
Working and hiring remotely
When it is safe to do so, Catawiki will be implementing a hybrid work policy where employees based in the Netherlands will work from the office 1-2 times per week and from home for the rest. All of our expert positions are 100% remote based.