Amazing Gandhara Stucco Head of Buddha.
- very nice quality faice details -
Ca. 300 - 500 AD
DIMENSIONS: 19 cm H. with out stand.
PROVENANCE: Private collection, North of London, collected before 1970s.
STAND DISPLAY INCLUDED
The historical region of Gandhara, was a satrapy of the Persian Achaemenid Empire from the 6th century BC, conquered by Alexander the Great, remaining Hellenistic with the Greek-Hindu sovereigns, until it was annexed to the Kushana empire (1st - 3rd centuries AD).
The Kushan adopted many elements of Hellenistic culture, adapting the Greek alphabet to their language, etc. It is because of these historical circumstances that Greco-Buddhist art, a syncretism between Greek culture and Buddhism, developed in Gandhara. In particular, Hellenistic sculpture was the main source of influences in Gandhara's art, since it represented the gods in human form. Later the area also had direct relations with the Roman world, through the trade and cultural exchange that it developed through the Silk Road, through which Roman coins and sculptures arrived in Gandhara in which emperors, high dignitaries appeared. and gods. Greco-Latin influence in this region was key in its artistic development, both for the formal aspects and for the fact that the Buddha was represented in human form.
Some of the earliest representations of the Buddha as an idealized human were made in Gandhara, where artists borrowed from the notions of physical perfection of the Classical world to depict him with broad shoulders and well-defined musculature.
- The piece includes authenticity certificate.
- The piece includes Spanish Export License (Passport for European Union).
- According to Spanish legislation, items sent outside the European Union are subject to export taxes and will be added to the invoice, at the buyer's expense. This export permit application process can take between 1-2 weeks maximum.
- The seller guarantees that he acquired this piece according to all national and international laws related to the ownership of cultural property. Provenance statement seen by Catawiki.
- Amazing Head of Buddha. 19 cm H. Nice
- Century/ Timeframe
- Ca. 300 - 500 AD
- Good Condition, See Photo