Photo collection of a Dutch soldier that had been sent to the Dutch Indies ca. 1947-1948. Approx. four hundred photos, mostly of small format, partly with captions on the back. The collection consists of:
1. A photo album (20.5 x 29.5 cm) with sixty tipped-in or inserted photos and eighteen loose ones in the back. This album mostly covers the sea trip from Europe, via the Suez Canal, and the first period in the Indies which were spent on Celebes (Menado).
A tin drum containing approx. 350 loose photos, partly with captions of the same soldier, whose unit was also deployed at other locations in eastern Indonesia, such as Ambon and even New Guinea (Hollandia, with a few interesting photos of Japanese prisoners of war who were ‘used’ to help to restore the war damage. Approx. 5% of the photos in this album consists of Dutch family photos, which lead to the conclusion that the compiler was likely from a Dutch farmer’s or middleclass family.
Condition: most photos are in good condition, though some of them are somewhat curled.
- Number of Books
- Colonial history, Photography, War history
- Author/ Illustrator
- (Indonesië 1945-50; Militairia); Fotografie
- Book Title
- Fotocollectie van een Nederlandse militair in Nederlands-Indië uit de jaren 1947-48; ca. 400 foto's
- Publication year oldest item
- Publication year youngest item
- 1st Edition
- Original language
- Number of pages
- 21×30 cm