Large folio woodcut leaf with 5 woodcuts, hand coloured:
37.3 x 23.2 cm
Wonderful richly illustrated woodcut leaf from the exceedingly scarce first edition of the great Stumpf Chronicle, one of the greatest illustrated works on the early to mid 16th Century.
Later hand colour.
Heinrich Vogtherr (the Elder) (1490 in Dillingen an der Donau – 1556 in Vienna) was an artist, printer, poet and medical author of the Reformation period.
Hans Asper is believed to have undertaken the portraits.
The leaf includes a dreadful scene of extreme torture.
- Single sheet
- Number of Books
- History, Illustrated, Incunabula & early printing, Militaria, War history
- Author/ Illustrator
- Heinrich Vogtherr (the Elder) (1490-1556) - Large folio
- Book Title
- With hand woodcut depicting methods of torture - First Edition - 1548
- Very good
- Publication year oldest item
- 1st Edition
- Original language
- Hand coloured illustrations
- Number of pages
- 373×232 mm