Märklin H0 - 37360 - Electric locomotive - Series Ae 6/6 as Ae 610 with city coat of arms 'Landquart'. of the SBB-CFF-FFS Cargo
With original packaging and booklet.
Running number Ae 610 500-1
Electric locomotive series Ae 6/6 as Ae 610 of the Schweizerische Bundesbahnen (SBB).
Version in bright red/ultramarine blue basic colour scheme of SBB Cargo, with city coat of arms 'Landquart'. Rebuilt version with altered grab irons handles under the cab windows and extra grab iron in the front.
New, under placed windshield wipers on both cabins.
Round headlights, angular buffer plates.
Actual real-life operating livery etc.
With an MFX Digital decoder and extensive sound functions. Controlled high-performance propulsion. Powered on 3 axles
With traction tyres.
The Swiss headlight code (triple headlights and 1 white marker light) alternates with changes in the direction of travel, will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally.
Separately applied metal handrails.
The length between the buffers is 21 cm.
Ventilation fan motors.
Squealing of brakes - off.
All the functions have been tested.
Undamaged and no paintwork issues.
Please see the photos for an accurate impression of this lot.
Electric locomotive Series Ae 6/6.
The Series Ae 6/6 is a 6-axle (2 bogies each with 3 axles) Swiss locomotive with the axle configuration Co’Co’ and a power output of 4400 kW and a maximum speed of 125 km/h. A total of 120 units of this powerful locomotive were built. The first 25 locomotives were given the coats-of-arms of the Swiss cantons, and the other locomotives were given the coats-of-arms of several Swiss municipalities. Ornamental stripes are/were only reserved to the locomotives 11401-11425 from this series that use/used the name of a canton.
The Ae 6/6 is a powerful electric locomotive which is capable of hauling a train weighing a total of 770 tons over the Gotthard route. The locomotive is also known as "Schienenmörder" (Killer of the Rails) because of the large numbers of wheels in each bogie,
Development and deployment.
By the early 1950s, the volume of freight for transport had increased to such an extent that the Schweizerische Bundesbahnen (SBB) decided to develop a new locomotive that needed to be powerful, fast and above all light.
Above all the locomotive had to be able to deal with the increased freight traffic on the Gotthard route, and replace the outdated Ae 4/6, Ae 4/7 and the Ce 6/8 II, that were required to be deployed in double traction for hauling the heavier freight trains on that route. The haulage of freight on the Gotthard route was thus time-consuming, uneconomic and inefficient.
In 1949 the commission was given for the construction of two prototypes to SLM and BBC. The Ae 6/6, a 6-axle locomotive with a power of 4400 kW and a maximum speed of 125 km/h was then developed. It appeared to be a project with great technical challenges, as it took until September 1952 for the first locomotive (11401) to leave the factory. When the weight was checked, it was found that the locomotive weighed 124 tons instead of the maximum determined weight of 120 tons. After several test runs the locomotive returned to the factory for a number of adjustments. In January 1953 the 2nd prototype (locomotive 11402) left the factory.
After a number of test runs with these prototypes, it soon became apparent that the electric braking system experienced problems as this proved to be too weak. These therefore underwent further development. The axles of the bogies were also found to be too rigid, causing intense wear on the rails and bogies. After the Ae 6/6 was equipped with wheel bearings and the wheel flanges were modified, the series production was started in 1954 and the first locomotives were deployed in 1955.
Since 1990, the Ae 6/6 has mostly been used for freight transport as it was no longer satisfactory for passenger traffic with its maximum speed of 125 km/h. This service was therefore taken over by the newer Series Re 6/6 locomotives. In 2007, some of the Ae 6/6s that had switched to SBB Cargo got the new "Cargo livery". Ae 610 486 and Ae 610 492 were the first locomotives with this new livery.
- No. of items
- Electric locomotive
- Railroad company
- SBB-CFF-FFS Cargo
- Catalogue Number
- Power supply
- AC - Alternating current
- Digital MFX, Sound
- In original box
- Additional information
- Ae 6/6 with city coat of arms 'Landquart'