Märklin H0 - 39025 - Steam locomotive with tender Series BR 18.3 Type 2”C1”h4v of the DRG.
With original packaging but without the booklet.
The booklet can still be downloaded from the Märklin website.
Running number: 18 327.
Steam locomotive series 18.3 of the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft (DRG), type 2”C1”h4v. Built as from 1918 as the Series IVh of the Grossherzogliche Badische Staatseisenbahnen. Deployment: High class passenger transport.
Controlled Softdrive Sine high efficiency propulsion in compact construction with digital decoder MFX without sound generator.
Powered on 3 axles, with traction tyres.
Tender made out of metal.
Close coupling between the locomotive and tender adjustable according to the relative track radii.
Smoke generator 72270 can be installed later.
3-point LED front-signal lighting alternates with changes in the direction of travel, smoke generator can be retrofitted, operates in conventional mode with digital control.
Close coupling with guide mechanism with NEM shaft on the tender.
Minimum radius of travel is 360 mm.
The length between the buffers is 26.7 cm.
Tested and fully functional.
Undamaged and without paintwork issues.
Please see the photos for an accurate impression of this lot.
Badische IV h - The Complicated Beauty. In 1915, the Grand Ducal Baden State Railways ordered 20 locomotives with a 2"C1" axle configuration (Pacific) from Maffei in Munich in order to operate the Rhine Valley line more efficiently. This locomotive type was designated as the IV h and was destined to be deployed for use between Mannheim and Basel. The design was therefore laid out purely as an express locomotive for flat terrain. The drive-wheel diameter of 2100 mm of locomotives with an identical axle configuration, was exceeded only by locomotive no. 18 201 of the Deutsche Reichsbahn. The maximum speed was set at 110 km/h due to the brake technology of the time. Due to the events of World War I, this locomotive was built in 3 series from 1918 to 1920. When the last IV h was delivered by the manufacturer in 1920, the Badische Staatsbahn was already included in the Deutsche Reichsbahn, which classified all 20 locomotives as Series BR 18.3 in their rolling stock. The machines were stationed in the Bw Openburg and were the paraded express train locomotives on the Rheintalstrecke and also very often for the new luxury train of the Reichsbahn, the Rheingold. Maffei designed four-cylinder compound running gear for the IV h, whose inner cylinders were positioned far to the front and gave the locomotive its unmistakable appearance. Although the boiler for the class IV h was the largest of its time in Germany water reserves were not all that great as the water volume was relatively small. The super-heater surface was also had a smaller area and as such the steam only reached a temperature of 330° C. This resulted in quite high water and coal consumption that was considerably greater than that of the later Deutsche Reichsbahn standard design locomotives. The tender also contributed to the characteristic appearance of the locomotive. It was unusually short with a bogie and with two axles mounted quite close to one another in the chassis of the tender. During its deployment, the Badische IV h was not particularly popular with locomotive operating personnel or with the administrative services on the basis of its complicated construct and was relatively quickly replaced by the new unit Series BR 01 on the prestigious Rheintal route. Successive numbers of the Series were transferred to North Germany and by 1942 all 20 locomotives were stationed in Bremen. They were used primarily in the area of the North German flat countryside, an area they were best suited for, and where the new locomotive crews could utilise the complicated system of compound high and low pressure cylinders. The maximum speed for these locomotives was increased to 140 km/h after the installation of stronger brakes, and the performance of the class 18.3 outpaced many newer express locomotives. Except for one unit, all of the class 18.3 locomotives survived World War II. The new Deutsche Bundesbahn had no use for them and they were retired. With the reconstruction of the infrastructure and the normalization of the rail service, the need for fast experimental locomotives grew, and the German Federal Railroad was forced to overhaul three of the stored class 18.3 locomotives. Accordingly these locomotives were modified and gave many years of valuable service at the Locomotive Experimental Bureau in Minden. The 18 316 achieved a speed of 162 km/h during a test run in Austria on the line from Kufstein to Wörgl and became the fastest provincial railroad locomotive. The last two locomotives were stored in 1969 and these beautiful units remain preserved as monuments for the provincial railroad era.
- No. of items
- Steam locomotive with tender
- Railroad company
- Catalogue Number
- Power supply
- AC - Alternating current
- Digital MFX
- In original box
- Additional information
- BR 18.3 type 2"C1"h4v.