This swordfish bill has been hand-carved with a traditional Maori pattern. The pattern is called Rauponga. This design is used on the body of figures to represent the ribs of the ancestor. The design is inspired by the leaf of the fern.
To read more about this carving please see the following link:
- Since it is a natural tusk, it might have some natural minimal cracks and crevices in the tusk. This is normal. Please refer to pictures.
- Our tusks are cleaned professionally, but sometimes minor discolouration still occurs. This is natural and normal, and not something we can do a lot about. Please refer to the pictures.
Length including stand: 87 cm
- The swordfish tusk will be sent with a Track & Trace code via DHL Parcel, DPD or postNl. The tracking will be updated in your Catawiki lot once your parcel has been dropped off. Please check regularly to avoid your parcel being returned.
- If you would like to combine shipping, please contact Catawiki BEFORE PAYING, so they can let us know and we can check whether it’s possible and at what cost.
- If you have any questions about your parcel please contact us using the Catawiki message service. We will try to reply within 3 working days.
- Large Stunning hand-carved Swordfish Tusk with custom stand - Maori Rauponga
- Indigenous object name
- Xiphias Gladius
- Region/ country
- Bone, Non-Cites species
- Early 21st century
- Sold with stand
- 87×10×10 cm