Stunning work embellished with 17 plates on the complete history of French colonization throughout time and history: from its origins (Coligny’s projects) to the conquest of Madagascar.
Accounts on land and at sea, expeditions, conflicts concerning Louisiana, Canada, Senegal, Hindustan, Algeria, the Pacific, Indochina, Sudan, Dahomey, Niger, Chad, and Madagascar.
This well-researched book deals with:
- Origins of colonization (travelers, merchants, adventurers in the land of gold, etc.)
– the largest empire (colonial policy under the monarchy, first French settlements in America, the Carignan regiment, the French in Louisiana, English and Iroquois Indians against Canada, the equitorial France, André Brüe in Senegal, Eastern France, the East India Company)
– the decline (its causes, the loss of Canada, the loss of Hindustan, the collapse, 1815)
– The renaissance (the conquest of Algeria, the rebirth of Senegal, through the oases of the Pacific, France in Indo-China)
– the "current" empire (France in North Africa: the Tunisian protectorate, among the Tuareg of the North; the conquest of Tonkin, France in Sudan, the war of Dahomey, in the loop of Niger, the capture of Samory, the work of M. de Brazza, the gates of the Red Sea, the conquest of Madagascar, the satellites of Madagascar).
Pierre Legendre - Notre Épopée Coloniale - ND (1900)
Collation: half-title + title + IV + 602 pages.
The binding is in very good condition, book in its green shagreen half-binding, spine with false bands, abrasions on the spine, damaged headcap, rubbed boards, lightly rubbed corners, sturdy binding-
Very good condition inside, 17 colour plates after the original watercolours by Henry Darien and about 300 black and white illustrations, in the text and tipped in after the most recent and original documents, fresh interior.
Delivery service provided within a few days.