Who we are
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every day. The special object you’ve been searching for, or a new and unexpected interest you never thought you’d have: the more you look, the more you’ll find. And at Catawiki, there’s always more to the story.
Our experts value, authenticate and curate everything from automobiles to vintage stamps, so everything you encounter is real and layered with meaning - waiting to be found.
Our mission is to connect passionate enthusiasts with the objects that tell their stories. As Europe’s fastest growing online auction platform, we help over 10 million people discover new treasures every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent!
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 and have since grown to over 650 Catawikians, working across 7 international offices, while maintaining our start-up mentality every step of the way. In December 2020 we received a new €150m investment round led by Permira and are excited to be growing out our team and business further across the world.
Our Engineering story
Catawiki operates in a huge market which brings a lot of unique challenges and opportunities. Having more than 12+ million monthly visitors, Catawiki’s Engineering team takes the stability and the scalability of our systems and applications seriously.
We strive to build scalable systems that will perform well under load, by deciding what algorithms and data structures our programs use, by always estimating and benchmarking our system’s performance, and by choosing the right technologies. Our Engineering team is spread over many Product teams across customer journeys on both sides of our marketplace (Search, Fraud Protection, Localisation, Payments, Bidding Engine, etc.) and we use a no-nonsense microservice architecture approach.
So what does an Engineering Manager do at Catawiki?
The impact that you will have, as one of our Engineering Managers, is massive; You will play an integral part in structuring processes, building on our high-performance culture, and shaping how engineering happens at Catawiki. The 3 most important aspects of your job will be:
Strategy & Planning:
- Aligning closely with product management for product & technical goals within your domain.
- Facilitating alignment with other Engineering teams for successful delivery of broad initiatives.
- Linking tech efforts to business goals; You know how to shape, mold and develop the engineering team to ensure they are moving in the same direction as the business.
- Communication across teams; You are the first point of technical contact for their topic.
- You will lead a team and plan their capacity as they work on challenges around scale, improving our microservice architecture and implementing new features.
- Act as a business partner for horizontal (platform) efforts that span across multiple teams or the entire organization.
Team Building & Management :
- You play a leading role in appraisals, reviews, coaching and mentoring, ensuring the team feels engaged and valued.
- You think actively about both the professional development of the existing team and the best way to attract and retain the best new talent.
- Help us design and run a high-performance product engineering organization, by actively participating in continuous improvement of organizational metrics.
What you’ll bring
- You have relevant experience in a variety of contexts, during which you have built scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems adding tangible value to the business and its users.
- A proven leader who has scaled up and managed within a consumer-facing Online business, playing a key role in aligning the technology strategy with the business objectives. Ideally, you have a background in e-commerce, Logistics, or Delivery (or a business with a physical component) but this is not a prerequisite.
- Experienced in developing a clear vision and direction for your team. You’ll be well versed in planning the career path of team members, ensuring engineers are engaged and inspired.
- A Role model for Engineers at Catawiki. Perhaps you speak at conferences, events or meetups about best practices in engineering and team building.
- You think in terms of the value added to the business and users and know the trade-offs to make between product and tech.
As our engineering group is expanding we are looking for structuring and solidifying engineering leadership to match our growth. As a result we are looking for managers that can start with 1 team and grow with us to end up managing multiple teams, via other managers. If you happen to have experience running multiple teams already, we are also very interested in talking to you. The role reports to the VP of Engineering, and collaborates closely with other Product and Engineering leaders.
Here's what we can offer you
This is your chance to become part of a fast but sustainable growing tech company! You'll be part of an enthusiastic, highly motivated team of 650+ international Catawikians; you'll have big responsibilities and can really create something. Additionally you can expect:
- An attractive Stock Option package
- A diverse and international team with over 50 different nationalities.
- Catawiki provides you with a membership to the O’Reilly learning platform.
- As part of Catawiki’s goal to create a healthy and happy culture, we’ve partnered with Headspace, a global leader in mindfulness and meditation! We provide our employees with a free one-year subscription for Headspace.
- Work from home office set-up to make sure you have all you need in an ergonomically-friendly manner.
- A bike scheme for employees that helps realise a tax advantage which makes a bike up to 35% cheaper than buying!
- Our entrepreneurial environment encourages everyone to take initiative and experiment with new ideas. You’ll actively contribute to the growth of the Catawiki platform.
- For people living outside of NL we offer a great relocation package for you and your family to The Netherlands (or remote work options if you live in France, Germany, Spain, Italy or Belgium)
- The fun part! Our Activity Committee plans everything from ‘CataFooty’ to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes and Boot Camps!
- And there’s more! Paid holidays, Holiday Allowance, a discount on health insurance and a fantastic pension plan paid for by Catawiki.
Catawiki is committed to building a diverse company and diverse teams. That includes everyone, no matter your age, ability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from underserved and underrepresented communities. If you’ve got a story to tell, come and join us.
Working and hiring remotely
When it is safe to do so, Catawiki will be implementing a hybrid work policy where employees based in the Netherlands will work from the office 1-2 times per week and from home for the rest. All of our expert positions are 100% remote based.