Who we are
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every day. The special object you’ve been searching for, or a new and unexpected interest you never thought you’d have: the more you look, the more you’ll find. And at Catawiki, there’s always more to the story.
Our experts value, authenticate and curate everything from automobiles to vintage stamps, so everything you encounter is real and layered with meaning - waiting to be found.
Our mission is to connect passionate enthusiasts with the objects that tell their stories. As Europe’s fastest growing online auction platform, we help over 10 million people discover new treasures every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent!
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 and have since grown to over 650 Catawikians, working across 7 international offices, while maintaining our start-up mentality every step of the way. In December 2020 we received a new €150m investment round led by Permira and are excited to be growing out our team and business further across the world.
What will you do?
As an Expert in Modern and Contemporary Art, you will be closely involved with evaluating and curating the pieces submitted by artists, from all over the world. You will help our artist create the best lot titles and descriptions, provide us with their best pictures, and advise them on the best-estimated value-based for their lot.
Using your expert knowledge and your extensive network, you will be responsible for creating attractive auctions every week, ranging from established artists to new and upcoming artists. You will be working in our “Direct from Artist” stream to offer even more choice to our Buyers.
You will also be present in the field, attending art fairs and visiting artists throughout the year across Europe.
Finally, you’ll also be working together with our Marketing Department to be a ‘Direct From Artist’ evangelist, within and outside of Catawiki. You will be involved in the marketing plan designed to promote the auctions of the Catawiki Modern and Contemporary Art department.
How we roll
Our Expert team is responsible for curating, selecting and promoting the thousands of items you see on Catawiki every day. It is also responsible for promoting the Catawiki brand and services in the art world – notably through selected events and visits to galleries, boutiques, and events in Europe.
You'll move in sync
You will be a key member of our Art team, that’s currently composed of 30+ Experts. You will work closely with your fellow Experts to share your expertise and collaboratively provide the best service to Catawiki’s customers. You will also work very closely with the Sales and Marketing team, to ensure that your auctions get the best selection of artworks, whilst reaching out to the most qualified audience worldwide.
A little about you
We do not necessarily require any diplomas or experience in similar functions; however, we do require:
- You are an absolute Expert in Modern and Contemporary Art
- You have significant experience in Selling/Buying artworks; you can have previous trade experience from running a gallery or by having been an agent in the Art world
- Naturally, you have an extensive network of potential sellers and experts in your field
- You speak fluent German have excellent communication skills in English
- You have the diplomatic competence needed to act as a mediator in disputes between users
What we offer
- Become a vital part of a fast-growing organisation
- Turn your hobby into your career
- Work from home
- Possibility of working part-time
- Keep up to date with the latest developments
- Excellent opportunities for career development
- A fun team that organises events and activities on a regular basis
Here’s what we can offer you
This is your chance to become part of a fast but sustainable growing tech company! You will have an exciting role in a young, fast-growing, dynamic & international organisation. You'll be part of an enthusiastic, highly motivated team of 500+ international Catawikians; you'll have big responsibilities and can really create something. Additionally you can expect:
- Working with a top notch team acting on a champions league level in a super complex dynamic environment; you will learn a lot!
- A diverse and international team with over 50 different nationalities.
- Our entrepreneurial environment encourages everyone to take initiative and experiment with new ideas. You’ll actively contribute to the growth of the Catawiki platform.
- Tailor-made trainings to facilitate your personal and professional growth
- Stock Options: All Catawikians are granted 100 Stock Options after 12 months of service.
Catawiki is committed to building a diverse company and diverse teams. That includes everyone, no matter your age, ability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from underserved and underrepresented communities. If you’ve got a story to tell, come and join us.
Working and hiring remotely
When it is safe to do so, Catawiki will be implementing a hybrid work policy where employees based in the Netherlands will work from the office 1-2 times per week and from home for the rest. All of our expert positions are 100% remote based.