Who we are
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every day. The special object you’ve been searching for, or a new and unexpected interest you never thought you’d have: the more you look, the more you’ll find. And at Catawiki, there’s always more to the story.
Our experts value, authenticate and curate everything from automobiles to vintage stamps, so everything you encounter is real and layered with meaning - waiting to be found.
Our mission is to connect passionate enthusiasts with the objects that tell their stories. As Europe’s fastest growing online auction platform, we help over 10 million people discover new treasures every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent!
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 and have since grown to over 650 Catawikians, working across 7 international offices, while maintaining our start-up mentality every step of the way. In December 2020 we received a new €150m investment round led by Permira and are excited to be growing out our team and business further across the world.
Our Data Story
With thousands of active lots every day, hundreds of thousands of daily bids, millions of users, and billions of events, the Catawiki platform generates vast amounts of data every day. All this data is being collected and stored, and used extensively by our team of 10 analysts and data scientists that want to build a better company by using data in a smart way. At Catawiki, we believe in using data for making decisions, and the Data Science & Analytics team plays an important role in that.
What you will do
We’re looking for a Data Scientist/Analyst that can help us make sense of all our data, and find actionable insights, patterns and relations by combining data from multiple sources and working closely together with your colleagues in other departments. Tasks include:
- Work with cross functional teams to find trends and opportunities in the data and make recommendations for improvements to the business strategy
- Be on top of all of Catawiki’s data, which you will use to create a better understanding of our users and of the effectiveness of what we do in every department
- Find key metrics that drive the performance of departments and products, and make these accessible to stakeholders through dashboards and reports
- You will work closely with the Product & Tech department of Catawiki, and have the opportunity to own Analytics for an entire pillar of the department, developing a strong relationship with your stakeholders
- On a day-to-day basis, your main mission will be to support Product Managers in identifying opportunities, prioritising features and evaluating success through AB experimentation
- You will be part of the Data team, and help us enrich and maintain our data warehouse as well as develop data accessibility across the entire company
Who you are
- An experienced Data Scientist / Business Analyst with a strong quantitative background and 3+ years of relevant experience (ideally in an online company).
- You’re a SQL Ninja who is not afraid of handling large volumes of data.
- Fluent in either R or Python.
- Experience with A/B experimentation and Web tracking/analytics are a plus.
- With examples from your own experience you can demonstrate a strong focus on deriving actionable business insights from your analyses.
- Strong communication skills and being able to work at a fast pace with business owners, engineers and management.
- Proven ability to extract meaning from very big datasets with little engineering support.
- An entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to get things done, also if that requires actions outside your own area or comfort zone.
What we can offer you
This is your chance to become part of a fast but sustainable growing tech company! You'll be part of an enthusiastic, highly motivated team of 650+ international Catawikians; you'll have big responsibilities and can really create something. Additionally you can expect:
- An attractive Stock Option package
- A diverse and international team with over 50 different nationalities.
- As part of Catawiki’s goal to create a healthy and happy culture, we’ve partnered with Headspace, a global leader in mindfulness and meditation! We provide our employees with a free one-year subscription for Headspace.
- Work from home office set-up to make sure you have all you need in an ergonomically-friendly manner.
- A bike scheme for employees that helps realise a tax advantage which makes a bike up to 35% cheaper than buying!
- Our entrepreneurial environment encourages everyone to take initiative and experiment with new ideas. You’ll actively contribute to the growth of the Catawiki platform.
- The fun part! Our Activity Committee plans everything from ‘CataFooty’ to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes and Boot Camps!
- And there’s more! Paid holidays, Holiday Allowance, a discount on health insurance and a fantastic pension plan paid for by Catawiki.
Catawiki is committed to building a diverse company and diverse teams. That includes everyone, no matter your age, ability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from underserved and underrepresented communities. If you’ve got a story to tell, come and join us.
Working and hiring remotely
When it is safe to do so, Catawiki will be implementing a hybrid work policy where employees based in the Netherlands will work from the office 1-2 times per week and from home for the rest. All of our expert positions are 100% remote based.