Who we are
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every day. The special object you’ve been searching for, or a new and unexpected interest you never thought you’d have: the more you look, the more you’ll find. And at Catawiki, there’s always more to the story.
Our experts value, authenticate and curate everything from automobiles to vintage stamps, so everything you encounter is real and layered with meaning - waiting to be found.
Our mission is to connect passionate enthusiasts with the objects that tell their stories. As Europe’s fastest growing online auction platform, we help over 10 million people discover new treasures every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent!
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 and have since grown to over 650 Catawikians, working across 7 international offices, while maintaining our start-up mentality every step of the way. In December 2020 we received a new €150m investment round led by Permira and are excited to be growing out our team and business further across the world.
- First point of contact for any regulatory compliance topic or user disputes in the DACH territory;
- Be appointed as a dedicated business partner for a few of our business lines;
- Ability to manage and obtain value from outside counsel on multiple litigation matters and any compliance related topics;
- Advising internal stakeholders on a.o. German consumer law, e-commerce requirements, GDPR and general contract law or any relevant regulatory compliance topic;
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of commercial contracts, including SaaS agreements, terms and conditions, vendor contracts, and supervising contract management;
- Proactively keep up with new legislation and market developments and ensure Catawiki’s compliance;
- Handling other project-based work within the scope of the legal department responsibilities on as-needed basis;
- Advise and guide the business teams on complex legal issues and develop creative solutions, pro-actively managing legal and business risks and resolving disputes;
- Enhancing legal awareness, including on relevant regulatory compliance topics;
- Pro-actively supporting the legal team in ‘being geeky’ by enhancing productivity and efficiency.
Who you are
- You are a fully qualified lawyer in German law with an international mindset
- Additionally, you’ve got a minimum of 5 years of legal experience, preferably as legal inhouse counsel at an international (tech) company
- Able to work at incredible speed and with focus is a must for this role, candidates must be able to prioritize responsibilities to manage a large workload with tight timelines
- Passionate about the legal challenges in a dynamic and fast paced international online environment
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Proven project management skills
- Ability to manage and obtain value from outside counsel
- You have a self-starter mentality and results-driven team player attitude
- You feel comfortable to act as a business partner and develop creative approaches to managing (newly arising and uncommon) legal risks and resolving disputes, taking into account the business needs and objectives
- Familiarity with EU commercial and consumer law, internet laws and issues, including understanding of the E-Commerce Directive, the GDPR and their application to online platforms
- Customer centric
- Proven flexible, creative & pragmatic problem solver and analytical thinker
- Fluent in German and English, both spoken and written (fluency or familiarity with any other languages is a plus)
- Proven expertise in corporate governance, corporate law, or any relevant regulatory compliance topic is a plus.
Here’s what we can offer you
This is your chance to become part of a fast but sustainable growing tech company! You will have an exciting role in a young, fast-growing, dynamic & international organisation. You'll be part of an enthusiastic, highly motivated team of 500+ international Catawikians; you'll have big responsibilities and can really create something. Additionally you can expect:
- Working with a top notch team acting on a champions league level in a super complex dynamic environment; you will learn a lot!
- A diverse and international team with over 50 different nationalities.
- A great office located in the heart of Amsterdam with an easy-going atmosphere.
- Our entrepreneurial environment encourages everyone to take initiative and experiment with new ideas. You’ll actively contribute to the growth of the Catawiki platform.
- Tailor-made trainings to facilitate your personal and professional growth.
- The fun part! Our Activity Committee plans everything from ‘CataFooty’ to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes and Boot Camps!
- Stock Options: All Catawikians are granted 100 Stock Options after 12 months of service.
And there’s more! Paid holidays, holiday allowance and a fantastic pension plan paid for by Catawiki.
Catawiki is committed to building a diverse company and diverse teams. That includes everyone, no matter your age, ability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from underserved and underrepresented communities. If you’ve got a story to tell, come and join us.
Working and hiring remotely
When it is safe to do so, Catawiki will be implementing a hybrid work policy where employees based in the Netherlands will work from the office 1-2 times per week and from home for the rest. All of our expert positions are 100% remote based.