Who we are
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every day. The special object you’ve been searching for, or a new and unexpected interest you never thought you’d have: the more you look, the more you’ll find. And at Catawiki, there’s always more to the story.
Our experts value, authenticate and curate everything from automobiles to vintage stamps, so everything you encounter is real and layered with meaning - waiting to be found.
Our mission is to connect passionate enthusiasts with the objects that tell their stories. As Europe’s fastest growing online auction platform, we help over 10 million people discover new treasures every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent!
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 and have since grown to over 650 Catawikians, working across 7 international offices, while maintaining our start-up mentality every step of the way. In December 2020 we received a new €150m investment round led by Permira and are excited to be growing out our team and business further across the world.
What you will do
You will play a key role in acquiring and onboarding our future Japanese and Asian Art & Antiques professional sellers. These sellers will contribute to our auctions on a daily basis with special objects.
- Conducting field visits to prospective sellers on our hit list;
- Seeking out and attending fairs, focusing on the Japanese and Asian Art markets;
- Using your own network to onboard new sellers and build long-term trusted relationships
- Work closely with our Europe-based Account Managers to make sure the Japanese sellers are on-boarded properly and supported thereafter
- Draw up and maintain win-win commercial agreements between Key Sellers and Catawiki
- Set up follow up meetings with on-boarded sellers and continue building relationships
- Work closely with our experts to understand market needs and source the right new business.
- Yearly visits to our Amsterdam office to connect and work with the sales team based in NL.
- Proactively suggest and follow up on opportunities for improvement to internal stakeholders;
Who you are
- Based in Japan (preferably Kyoto/Tokyo/Osaka)
- A Master/Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2+ years of sales experience or relative work experience.
- Access to the Japanese Art & Antique market (thru your own network)
- Willing to travel on a weekly basis to visit prospects/sellers/fairs/events
- Affinity for the online industry so that you can play a key role in helping traditional dealers move online
- Business development approach, successful and trustful networker
- Moving in sync, proactive, passionate and take ownership approach
- Able to work independently and well organised
- Flexibility! We are a fast-growing organization where things can be different tomorrow;
- Excellent communication skills in Japanese and English;
- Excellent computer skills ( google sheets, slides and docs) and data. We are a data-driven company.
Here’s what we can offer you:
- A diverse and international team with over 40 different nationalities.
- Our entrepreneurial environment encourages everyone to take initiative and experiment with new ideas. You’ll actively contribute to the growth of the Catawiki platform.
- Tailor-made training to facilitate your personal and professional growth
Catawiki is committed to building a diverse company and diverse teams. That includes everyone, no matter your age, ability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from underserved and underrepresented communities. If you’ve got a story to tell, come and join us.
Working and hiring remotely
When it is safe to do so, Catawiki will be implementing a hybrid work policy where employees based in the Netherlands will work from the office 1-2 times per week and from home for the rest. All of our expert positions are 100% remote based.
- Japan Home Office