Folio with large woodcut. 34.5 x 22.3 cm !!
Woodcuts to recto and verso of one leaf.
450 + folio woodcuts with fine later hand colour.
Fuch’s work and its beautiful illustrations effected a revolution in the natural sciences, comparable to that of Copernicus in astronomy and Vesalius in anatomy, both of which were published the following year, 1543.
To effect this reform accurate illustration and identification was the first requirement and it was to this task that Fuchs addressed himself.
Fuchs employed the best artists then available in Basle: Albrecht Meyer did the drawings, Heinrich Füllmaurer transferred them to the woodblocks, and they were cut by Veit Rudolph Speckle. All three are depicted in the book, the first time that book illustrators are themselves portrayed and named. These illustrations set a new standard for botanical depiction and were some of the most influential in botanical history, being copied for innumerable works well into the 18th century.
Condition: Good condition. Minor edge wear and fingering to margins. Please view images.
- Hoja única
- Número de libros
- Biología, Botánica, Historia natural, Incunables e impresión temprana, Libros ilustrados
- Autor/ Ilustrador
- Leonhard Fuchs (1501-1566); Albrecht Meyer; Heinrich Füllmaurer
- Título del libro
- Large folio with 2 woodcuts in hand colour: Herb de Paris & Wolsbane [Aconitum & Paris quadrifolia}
- Año de publicación artículo más antiguo
- Primera edición en este formato
- Lengua original
- Ilustraciones coloreadas a mano
- Número de páginas
- 34.7×22 cm