Märklin H0 - 39120 - Electric locomotive, E-10.3 of the DB
With original packaging and booklet
Running number E10 345
Series E 10.3 of the Deutsche Bundesbahn (DB). Bo'Bo' axle configuration.
Operating condition before Era III, from around 1965 with "iron"-front, continuous ventilator grilles, all-round rain gutter and aerodynamic buffer cladding and front-skirts.
With an MFX decoder, high efficiency drive Softdrive and sound generator.
Low-maintenance motor centrally mounted in compact construction.
Powered on 4 axles via drive shafts.
With traction tyres.
Fitted handrails made out of metal.
Mounted roof gangways.
The LED 3-point front and 2-point red end signal lights alternate with changes in the direction of travel, with low-maintenance LEDs, operate in conventional mode with digital control.
The length between the buffers is 18.9 cm.
Tested and fully functional.
Undamaged and without paintwork issues.
One spring of a pantograph is missing.
Please see the photos for a proper impression.
Electric locomotive Series BR E 10.
The Series BR E 10 has always been overshadowed by the classic Series V 200 and the elegant Series BR 103. Nevertheless, the Series BR E 10 belongs to the most interesting post-war locomotive Series. Not only because you can still see these locomotives - sometimes with more than 50 years of service - running on the German rail network, but also because of the many variants in which they have appeared. For many decades, these units formed the backbone of passenger transport services in Germany.
Development and deployment.
The Series BR E 10, together with the Series BR E 40, E 41 and E 50 belongs to the so-called Einheitsloks; four locomotives with which the DB wanted to build up a modern electric locomotive stock after the Second World War and that were required to use as many common components as possible in order to reduce costs.
In order to gain experience with the new technical specifications that might be used in these locomotives. the locomotive factories Henschel, Jung, Krupp, Krauss-Maffei, locomotive factory at Esslingen and the electrical companies AEG, BBC and SWW were commissioned in 1949 to develop prototypes for a new Bo’Bo’ locomotive with a top speed of 125 km/h (later 130 km/h) and with a continuous power of 3300 to 3500 Kw and a maximum axle load of approx. 20 tonnes. After the designs were submitted and were studied, it was decided in 1950 to have four variants built by different manufacturers and with various types of propulsion:
- A low-voltage locomotive from Krauss-Maffei with an Alsthom linked rod propulsion system.
- A high-voltage locomotive from Krupp/BBC with a disc drive system.
- A low-voltage locomotive of Henschel/SSW with a rubber ring spring drive.
- A Henschel/AEG high-voltage locomotive with “Sécheron-Lamellenantrieb” or slat drive.
Because the DB favoured the last variant, it was immediately decided to place an order for 2 pre-series units - thus five prototypes in total, which would become known as E 10 001, 002, 003, 004 and 005. These locomotives were delivered to the DB in 1952 and 1953 and were decommissioned between 1975 and 1978. Locomotive 002 (DB Museum Nürnberg) and locomotive 005 (BEM Nördlingen) have been preserved.
For the production of the E 10 series of locomotives -by now a maximum speed of 150 km/h - a mixture of the technologies of the various prototypes was used. For example, the Series BR E 10 (like the E 40, E 41 and most E 50) would get a rubber ring direct-drive system and SSW motors that closely resembled those from the 003 and a high voltage transformer as was tested in the 002, 004 and 005. As far as appearance was concerned, one partially reverted to the 001 which was the only prototype with two front windows instead of three as with the other four locomotives. On the 001, the interior of the driver's cab was also maintained as is, whilst the layout of the control buttons and levers was as per the 002.
In 1954, an order was given for the construction of the first 31 Series BR E 10 locomotives, which was quickly increased to 69 units. On 4 December 1956, Krauss-Maffei handed over the first of the locomotive Series BR E 10 101 to the DB. Up until 1969, 379 units of the Series BR E 10 - known as from 1968 onwards as the Series BR 110 - would be manufactured. These were - E 10 101 to 264, E 10 271 to 307, E 10 313 to 482, 110 483 and 484, and finally 110 505 to 510.
The locomotives were initially delivered with the steel-blue livery, with single front signals and rounded ventilation grilles with horizontal slats. From locomotive E 10 216 (in 1960) the installation of double front signals as well as a smaller top signal and new ventilation grilles (first rounded, later on rectangular) with vertical slats was started. These innovations were later also installed in part on the previously manufactured locomotives.
From locomotive E 10 288, they were given a completely new appearance with the arrival of the so-called "Bügelfalte". A new housing design that was characterised by a sharp fold at the front, enlarged front windows, extra windows next to the doors, ventilation grilles that seemed to consist of a single unit and aerodynamic covers on the buffers and aprons. The covers of the buffers and aprons were once more removed after 1970 and the single ventilation grilles were re-installed. These locomotives are often referred to as Series BR E 10.3 as compared to the first 'normal' locomotives known as Series BR E 10.1. Technically, however, they are not (much) different from each other. The "missing" numbers in the above row of locomotives can be found in a special side series that was made: the Series BR E 10.12. For the new "Rheingold" and "Rheinpfeil" trains, they wanted to use locomotives that could reach a top speed of 160 km/h. For this purpose, eleven modified E 10 locomotives with a different transmission, new Henschel bogies and an aerodynamic shape were developed. Because these new locomotives for the "Rheingold" trains were not ready in time, an emergency solution had to be found. The ordered, standard E 10 239 to 244 were provisionally fitted with another transmission for the higher speeds. The colour was also adapted to the "Rheingold" beige and blue livery. As locomotives E 10 1239 up to and including 1244 they were deployed in 1962 (with an extra '1' to indicate the higher top speed). After the actual new "Rheingold" locomotives were all deployed in 1963 - locomotives E 10 1265 up to and including 1270 - the temporary substitutes were restored to normal E 10 locomotives: the transmission was reduced to a top of max. 150 km/h, they were given an all-blue livery and the numbers were reverted to E 10 239 up to and including 244. The new design of the "Rheingold" locomotives - the already mentioned "Bügelfalte" - was such a success that it was decided to provide all new (standard) E 10-locomotives - from E 10 288 - with this housing. The saga of the "Rheingold" trains was repeated for the "Rheinpfel": as the new locomotives were not ready. Thus the standard locomotives E 10 250 to 254 were temporarily converted for 160 km/h in 1963. They were eventually replaced by the real "Rheinpfeil" locomotives E 10 1308 up to and including 1312, all of which were completed in 1964. In 1968, another twenty of these E 10.12 locomotives were purchased, which came into service as 112 485 up to and including 504. Series BR 112 had already become the new name of the fast E 10.12-locomotives.
In addition to the steel blue (and a slightly lighter blue) liveries, the locomotives were also seen in the subsequent blue and beige, oriental red and traffic red liveries. The E 10.12 locomotives were given both the "Rheingold" cobalt blue and beige livery and the TEE red and beige livery. Also quite unique were the blue locomotive 110 365 that for a while had two white, V-shaped contract surfaces on the front ends, the blue locomotive E 10 477 which had two white stripes on the front ends at the height of the front signals and the blue E 10 384 which had the chassis and roof painted light grey. Other locomotives that were temporarily given a striking appearance included the 110 487 that was deployed in 1996 with colourful stickers in honour of the 25 years of the "Sendung mit der Maus" anniversary, the "Science Express" locomotive 110 329, "KI.KA Live Express" - locomotive 110 321, the purple and white liveried advertising locomotive 110 325 "Ameropa", the exhibition train "Stiebel Eltron" with locomotive 110 243 and finally locomotive 110 511, which in 2005 was given a white body with red lines.*
The E 10/110 locomotives were mainly deployed as fast passenger- and express freight-trains. One seldom came across these locomotives hauling a standard freight train. From 1970 onwards, several of the tasks of the 110/112 series were performed by the Series BR 103, but these locomotives continued to play an important role in the international rail traffic for a long period. As from 2000, the decommissioning of these locomotives was accelerated. Due to problems with new train sets and winter-time problems with the modern Electric locomotives, the DB AG still cannot manage without the services of the remaining locomotives of this series.
- Nombre d’articles
- Locomotive électrique
- Compagnie de chemin de fer
- Numéro de catalogue
- CA - Courant alternatif
- Numérique MFX, Son
- Proche de l'état neuf
- Dans la boîte d'origine