Ascens i Descens de l'Intel·lecte, Llibre de l'Il·luminat Doctor Ramon Llull. Traducció de Francesc Salvà i Miquel, Aiguaforts de Ramon de Campmany. Barcelona (1953).
Ramon de Capmany y de Montaner (1899 - 1992), was a Catalan painter, engraver and bibliophile. He was baptized by Jacinto Verdaguer in the chapel of the Castle of Santa Florentina, rebuilt by his grandfather.
He trained as a painter at the Escuela de la Lonja, where he studied under the supervision of Francesc Labarta. He was one of the members of the group known as the Evolutionists, and one of the regulars of the Sala Parés. Eminently a landscape painter, he mostly painted the surroundings of the Montseny Massif and the old part of the city of Barcelona,in a naturalistic style. He also illustrated bibliophile editions. He held the position of curator in the board of the Ateneo Barcelonés during the presidency of Pedro Gual Villalbí, between 1952 and 1962. Some of his works can be found in the National Art Museum of Catalonia.
This volume of Blessed Ramon Llull, translated from Catalan by Francesc Salvà, is beautifully illustrated with 21 etchings (11 plates and 10 tops), all drawn, engraved and illuminated by hand by Ramon de Campmany. CLXV copies were printed on Gelidenca linen paper specially manufactured by hand, and distributed as follows:
- 16 copies: containing the original drawing of one of the plates or 2 vignettes, with all the respective proofs, a series of sanguine proofs of the plates and the vignettes, and the final proof of all the plates, numbered from I to XVI (this copy is number VII).
- 120 copies: with the final proof of all plates, numbered from 1 to 120.
- 16 copies: property of the artist containing an original sketch, a series of sanguine proofs of the plates and vignettes, and the final proof of all the plates, marked from A to O.
- 6 collaborator copies containing the final proof of all plates, which weren’t put up for sale, numbered from 1 to 6.
- 7 archive copies, property of the author, of the illustrations with the final proof of all the plates, marked from 1** to 7**.
Copy number VII - It contains the original drawing of one of the plates with all the respective proofs, a series of sanguine tests of the plates and vignettes, and the final proof of all the plates.
175 pages of text.
Work in a case
Absolutely all the drawings are hand signed by the artist Ramon Campmany.
The work is divided into 10 distinctions: Las Escalas del Intelecto, La Piedra, la Llama, La Planta, La Bestia, El Hombre, El Cielo, El Ángel, De Dios y de las Cuestiones que se tratan. Likewise, any theme related to the Being is included, starting from the Imperfect to the Perfect, and descending from the Perfect to the Imperfect. In each of these distinctions, they have been numbered so that the solutions, which must be at the end of the book, can be found in the place and number they belong to and where extracted from.
Book of the collection Gran Lujo of Ediciones Lujo, printed on 24th September 1953, La Mercè Day, in the workshop of the Imprenta Joan Sallent, Sucr (Sabadell).
One of the proofs of the work, apart from the one signed by the artist Campmany, is dedicated by himself to Mr. Riera with the following words: ‘Prueba dedicada al Sr. Riera por el artista. Ramon Campmany.’
An original iron plate comes with the work. It’s an additional object, it wasn’t originally included with this work. This plate was a gift from the artist to Mr. Rosendo Riera, a friend of his. He also dedicated him the aforementioned proof with a personal dedication.
Heavy work: 3,700 kg
A spectacular collector's work.
Fast and secure shipping with tracking.
- Nombre de livres
- Ramon de Campmany i Montaner
- Titre du livre
- Ascens i Descens de l'Intel·lecte
- Très bon état
- Année de publication de l’ouvrage le plus ancien
- 1ère édition dans ce format
- Langue originale
- Joan Sallent, Sucr. (Sabadell, Barcelona)
- Autre - voir description
- Nombre de pages
- 35×26 cm