Catawiki B.V. is a company registered and situated in the Netherlands that provides an online auction platform to users worldwide. The entity Catawiki B.V., as data controller, is responsible for handling all data disclosure requests from law enforcement authorities relating to user and or transactional information. Therefore, all information requests must be addressed to Catawiki B.V. even if we have a local entity established in a country where the requesting law enforcement authority is from. We will not provide any information if the request is not addressed to Catawiki B.V.
The privacy and protection of personal data of our users is very important to us. Nonetheless, we will of course support law enforcement authorities as much as possible if we are able and obliged to do so. It may happen we don’t have the requested information or not have it fully stored in our system. For instance, bank details are not stored by Catawiki and we can only provide the authorities with hashed financial information (only the last 4 digits of your bank account number) that we receive from our payment service provider.
We request Dutch authorities with supervisory and investigative powers to provide us with a warrant, court order or other legally binding order to compel the provision of a user’s (personal) data. All the conditions mentioned under section 5 should be fulfilled before we are able to provide the requested information.
Law enforcement authorities outside of the Netherlands can submit a European Investigation Order (EIO), a Mutual Legal Assistance Request (MLAT) or Letter Rogatory, as applicable, to the Dutch authorities. Alternatively, non-Dutch law enforcement authorities may submit a request directly to Catawiki B.V. In addition to the conditions mentioned under section 5, such requests must, at a minimum:
- relate to actions involving goods which are or actions committed by a (natural or legal) person that is subject to investigations in judicial proceedings ongoing in the country from which the request is made
- been issued - at least - by a public prosecutor, the judicial police or another competent public authority in the exercise of their official activities
- relate to an alleged criminal act that is an offence under the criminal laws of the requesting country
- be narrowly tailored to a legitimate law enforcement need
- be made using the appropriate legal process for the jurisdiction in which the alleged crime occurred
We will only process requests that are addressed to Catawiki B.V. Requests addressed to Catawiki or Catawiki Services will not be processed.
Also, we will only process requests that fulfil the following conditions. The request must be in formal writing, in PDF format and contain:
- the clear ground for the legal basis of the request and a (brief) summary of the investigation
- a clear description of the natural or legal person whose information is requested. Please note: we can only find users in our system if we have specific details of that person, such as - a username, full name or an email address
- a clear overview of the specific data points that are required for the investigation and the period within which the information is sought. Requesting 'all data of this user' is not specific enough
- the expected response period. Please note it may take some time to gather the information if the scope of the request is broad
- the name and signature of the issuing authority, badge/ID number of the responsible agent or officer, email address and a direct contact number
Please be as specific as possible and remember that all information requests must be reasonable, proportionate and necessary for the stated purpose.
Every information request from a law enforcement authority should be sent to email@example.com from an official authority email address. If you send the report in any other way, there might be a delay in our response.
Please keep the following in mind:
- Our Customer Support team is not authorised to disclose any information by phone or email outside the procedure laid down in these Guidelines.
- We will only respond to requests sent in accordance with these Guidelines.
- We reserve the right to notify our users of a request, except when providing such a notification is prohibited by law.