Who we are
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every day. The special object you’ve been searching for, or a new and unexpected interest you never thought you’d have: the more you look, the more you’ll find. And at Catawiki, there’s always more to the story. Every day sellers submit thousands of objects to sell on Catawiki. Our 240+ in-house experts review and select only the best to auction.
Our mission is to connect passionate enthusiasts with the objects that tell their stories. As Europe’s fastest growing online auction platform, we help over 10 million people discover new treasures every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent!
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 and have since grown to over 650 Catawikians, working across 7 international offices, while maintaining our start-up mentality every step of the way. In December 2020 we received a new €150m investment round led by Permira and are excited to be growing our team and business further across the world.
What you will do
As an auctioneer, you will be closely involved with evaluating and arranging lots submitted by our users. Using your expert knowledge and extensive network, you will be responsible for creating attractive lot listings every week. Catawiki strives to keep user transactions as transparent and fair as possible, and your expertise and experience play a large part in maintaining this standard; you know better than anyone what items are of interest to our users. You will review lot titles, descriptions, and pictures, and provide users with an estimated value based on this information. If you need to reject a submission, you do so in a professional and courteous manner. Your efforts result in exceptional auctions that bidders will find irresistible. We also expect you to keep your own auction interesting by working with our sales department, thereby drawing in new sellers and diversifying the selection of lots offered at your auction. Finally, you’ll also be working together with our marketing department to generate an increase of potential bidder attention at your auction.
Who you are
We do not necessarily require any diplomas or experience in similar functions, however, we do require:
- Expert knowledge in your field; Specialising in silver
- An eye for trade;
- Documented commercial experience;
- Excellent communicative skills;
- Good computer skills;
- A network of potential sellers and experts in your field;
- The diplomatic competence needed to act as mediator in disputes between users;
- Good command of the English language.
What we offer
This is your chance to become part of Europe’s fastest growing tech company! You will have an exciting job in a young, fast-growing, dynamic & international organisation. Additionally, you can expect:
- Turn your hobby into your career;
- Minimum availability of 20 hours per week. This job could be combined with another part time job;
- Work from home;
- Flexible to divide your working hours over the working week. We do have fixed meeting times during the week and you will be required to attend those (online) meetings;
- Paid holiday;
- Excellent opportunities for career development;
- Sponsored events and afternoon drinks;
- A fun team in a fast-growing online company facing complex challenges;
- Lots of room to work on great ideas, and to learn and grow.
Catawiki is committed to building a diverse company and diverse teams. That includes everyone, no matter your age, ability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from underserved and underrepresented communities. If you’ve got a story to tell, come and join us.
Working and hiring remotely
When it is safe to do so, Catawiki will be implementing a hybrid work policy where employees based in the Netherlands will work from the office 1-2 times per week and from home for the rest. All of our expert positions are 100% remote based.