Catawiki’s purpose is to enable people to discover and obtain special objects that help them fulfill their passions. In doing so, we add some color & make the world a more interesting place.
Our Data Story
With thousands of active lots every day, hundreds of thousands of daily bids, millions of users, and countless marketing campaigns, the Catawiki platform generates vast amounts of data every day. This data is being collected and stored in the Data warehouse, which is used extensively by our team of analysts and data scientists. There are also hundreds of active internal users of our Data Warehouse. As Catawiki grows and produces more data, our Data Science and Analytics Team has created a clear a mission:
Why: We believe that by using data in a smart way, we can build the best Catawiki possible. We want to have impact and see opportunities everywhere.
How: We are builders, thinkers and talkers. We collaborate closely with every department to create value for our customers. We think big and hold ourselves to high standards, because our work really matters for the future of the company.
What: As a result we deliver scalable and robust models, actionable insights and solid understanding. We help the company to define and evaluate success, and we empower everyone to prioritise based on impact.
So what's the job
As a Data Scientist - Product & Customer in the Data Science & Analytics team at Catawiki you will focus on delivering scalable and value creating data products. You’ll work closely with our product and development teams, implementing your work. This includes:
- Building models that apply machine learning and advanced data science techniques within our product offering by writing robust and scalable code.
- Finding data science opportunities by exploring our extensive mobile and web data, and applying machine learning and advanced statistics to tackle these real-world business problems.
- Working with cross-disciplinary teams involving product owners, developers, UX designers, and business analysts in constructing hypotheses for improvements.
A little about you
- An experienced Data Scientist with a strong quantitative background and ~3+ years of relevant experience (ideally in an Online company).
- You are fluent in Python, capable with SQL, and you have deployed ML models serving real time responses on a large scale.
- Demonstrable experience in building robust data products that created value for the company you worked for.
- You have strong communication skills and are able to work at a fast pace with product owners, engineers and the wider business.
The following are a plus:
- Proven ability to extract meaning from very big datasets with little engineering support.
- Experience with one or more of the following: Recommender systems, Google BigQuery, Git, Tensorflow, Spark, Domino Data Science Platform.
- An entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to get things done, even if that requires actions outside your own area or comfort zone.
The Catawiki Story
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every single day. As Europe’s fastest growing online auction platform, our mission is to make special objects available to everyone.
In fact, 14 million users are buying and selling on Catawiki every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent.
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 as a platform where collectors could manage their collections online. Yet, times change, ideas evolve, and in 2011 we hosted our first online auction and we haven’t looked back since! We’ve now grown to 500 Catawikians working across 7 International offices and are proud to have maintained our start-up mentality.
Here’s what we can offer you
A diverse and international team with over 40 different nationalities, located in the heart of Amsterdam and Assen with an easy-going atmosphere.
The Catawiki Community gathers everyone together for everything from ‘CataFooty’ to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes and Boot Camps!
And there’s more! We also provide paid holidays, holiday allowance and a pension plan paid for by Catawiki.