Condition: excellent. Wide margins. The centrefold is as issued. A Latin text on the back. Good copy.
The scene shows Antwerp where the dikes were breached on 26 May 1585. View of the flooded area around the city of Antwerp and the battle for the Kauwensteinse dike between the army of Parma and the state army during the siege of Antwerp.
Hand-coloured copper engraving, published by Frans Hogenberg in 1585. Published by Gerardus Campensis in 1596 in Cologne in 'De Leone Belgico eiusq(ue) topographica atq(ue) historica descriptione liber (...)', Michaël Aitzinger.
- Country (current geographical location)
- Geographical specification
- Antwerpen, Schelde
- Map maker/ publisher
- Michaël Aitzinger / Frans Hogenberg
- Map/ Book title
- Copper engraving
- Additional Information
- Hand-colored copper engraving in excellent condition.
- Size of the largest image
- 23×32 cm