Terracotta ceramic sculpture by Camille DEBERT 1916
Title of the work "Les Deux Croix"
Camille Debert is the son of Charles Debert, a master sculptor in Bailleul. He studied at Bailleul College, then began an apprenticeship in Bruges. He returned to France where he attended the École des Beaux-Arts in Lille and then the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris. After his military service in Nancy in 1891, he went to Paris where he worked in Jules Cavelier's studio.
After the First World War, Camille Debert created many war memorials, including those in the following municipalities:
Bailleul: the monument is built on the ruins of the old parish, the former church of St. Amand;
Tournai (Belgium), Place de Lille: French monument carved in 1897 to celebrate the memory of French soldiers who fell during the siege of the citadel of Antwerp (1832)1;
Méteren (North): A bronze high relief representing a woman in a Flemish costume kneeling on the grave of a “Poilu”. In her meditation, the young woman has the vision of a poilu, figured at the top of the sculpture, falling while holding the emblem of the fatherland tightly over his heart. On the burial mound is planted a cross at the foot of which grows a young oak symbol of glory 2,3;
Crosne (Essonne) 4;
Mûr-de-Bretagne (Coast of Armor) 5;
Vieux-Berquin, (North) 6;
Boeschepe, (North) 7.
Camille Debert created the sculpture of a commemorative plaque, entitled Pro Deo pro Patria, which was reproduced in several copies by the Compagnie Industrielle de Décoration Artistique and placed in several churches: chapel on Place du Chatiague in Tence 8, Saint-Géraud Abbey in Aurillac 9, Achères parish (Yvelines) 10, etc.
War memorial by Camille Debert
Beautiful period patina
Insured and well-protected shipment.
- Ceramic, Terracotta
- Designer/ Artist
- Camille DEBERT (1867 -1935)
- Model/ Name
- Les Deux Croix
- Estimated Period
- Early 20th century
- Country of Origin
- Good condition - used with small signs of aging & blemishes
- 32×16×32 cm