Hand-coloured wood-engraved frontispiece and (joint) title, depicting "race blanche. jaune, brune, rouge et noire". Original printed wrappers. Uncut. Wrappers soiled; binding weak. Front wrapper chipped in fore edge corners, otherwise a very good, complete copy.
* This is a little-known work by the renowned Belgian geologist and politician Jean Baptise Julien Omalius d'Halloy (1783-1875). In 1834 he presented at the Académie his researches on the classification of human races, of which this book seems an advanced publication. It was republished several times under slightly different titles.
In the third edition of On the Origin of Species published in 1861, Charles Darwin added a Historical Sketch giving due credit to naturalists who had preceded him in publishing the opinion that species undergo modification, and that the existing forms of life have descended by true generation from pre-existing forms. He explicitely included d'Halloy. (Wikipedia)
**This lot is part of an important collection that will be auctioned in the coming months through the Catawiki Collection Service. If you also need assistance to sell your collection at auction, ask for our terms directly at this seller's account!
- Number of Books
- Natural History
- Author/ Illustrator
- J.J. d'Omalius d'Halloy
- Book Title
- Encyclopédie populaire des Races Humaines ou éléments d'Ethnographie
- Publication year oldest item
- 1st Edition
- Original language
- Bruxelles, Société pour l'émancipation intellectuelle : A. Jamar editeur
- Hand coloured illustrations
- Number of pages
- 19×12 cm