Very rare map by Duval, showing the journey of Jacques de Bourges (1630-1714) in the Far East, giving details on the countries crossed to reach Siam, considered as the first French book published on this country.
Jacques de Bourges was part of the first team sent by young foreign missions in Asia. He left Marseille on November 27, 1660. The author crosses on foot Persia and India and then embarks for the kingdom of Siam traveling through Basra, Isfahan, Gomeron, Surat and Masulipatan. in August 1662, After a journey of 20 months, he reaches the city of Siam.
Published in RELATION DU VOYAGE DE MONSEIGNEUR L'EVEQUE DE BERYTE VICAIRE...... A Paris, chez Denys Bechet, 1666.
Image 16x22,5cm, page 20,5x32cm
- Country (current geographical location)
- Geographical specification
- Thailand, India, Iran, China, Cambodja, Middle East
- Map maker/ publisher
- P. Du Val
- Map/ Book title
- Carte du Voyage de Mh. L ´Evesque de Beryte (..) au Royaume de la Cochin-Chine
- Copper engraving
- Additional Information
- Rare 17th century map from the first French book on Thailand, showing the travels of a French priest
- Size of the largest image
- 16×22.5 cm