“Het Beloofde Land Canaan …” Bastiaan Stoopendaal. Amsterdam: Pieter and Jacob Keur, c. 1729.
This map originally appeared in a Dutch Bible and depicts the Holy Land and Egypt with the route taken by the Israelites from Egypt to Canaan. Along the whole lower part isan illustration with different episodes of the Wandering, especially the receipt of the Tables of the Law by Moses. Ref.: Poortman, Kaarten in Bijbels, p. 209, entry 3 / K-II-2.
In the Mediterranean the scene of Jonah and the whale. Sailing Ships and a compass rose decorate the sea.
Good condition, some small repairs in the central fold, no influence on the image.
Image 34,5x45,5cm, page 38,5x46cm
- Country (current geographical location)
- Geographical specification
- Holy Land, Egypt, Sinai desert, Lebanon, Jordan, Syria
- Map maker/ publisher
- Stoopendaal / Keur
- Map/ Book title
- Perigrinatie ofte Veertich-Iarige Reyse
- Copper engraving
- Additional Information
- A splendid example of Stoopendaal's map of the route taken by the Israelites from Egypt to Canaan
- Size of the largest image
- 34.5×45.5 cm