This beautiful Buddha is in excellent condition.
The laughing or Happy Buddha is a Chinese sage who was nick-named 'Poe-Tai Ho-Shang'.
He was honoured as a folk hero after his death and he was considered to be the bearer of good luck.
He is often depicted as a bald man with a large belly and a happy smile. His long earlobes show that he is of noble descent.
The attributes that he carries are very different and symbolic, these are i.a.:
- Beaded necklace: Buddhist prayer beads
- Gold nugget: symbol for financial prosperity
- Sack: symbol of the search and travel
- Yoke: stands for balance
- Cloak: offers protection
The story goes that if you place it in a room facing the door, everyone who enters this room is welcome and is blessed with happiness.
- Total nr of items
- Bronze Happy Buddha, on wooden base
- Bronze, Copper, Wood
- Late 20th century
- Region/ Country of origin
- Good condition, see description
- 8×25×8 cm