- [G.] Lauts - Het eiland Balie en de Balienezen, door den Hoogleeraar Lauts. Met eene kaart - Amsterdam, G.A.J. Beijerinck, 1848. - With a lithographed title page. VIII, 285 pp. + folding map at the end - Original printed cardboard publisher's binding (23.5 × 14 cm).
Condition: paper spine strip is missing (but in the back of the book 2 extra spine strips are included for this case; see the photos); otherwise a good, clean and uncut copy.
Rare, certainly in the original covers.
* One of the earliest Dutch descriptions of Bali. The book was written after the last military expedition against the Buleleng Regency on the island. The first and most extensive part of the book is a mainly ethnographic description of country and people, in which, among other things, the use of slaves and the practice of widow burning are discussed in detail; the second part deals with the history of relations with the Dutch and the economic aspects of trade and industry.
- Number of Books
- Colonial history
- Author/ Illustrator
- (Indonesië; Bali) G. Lauts
- Book Title
- Het eiland Balie en de Balienezen
- Publication year oldest item
- 1st Edition
- Original language
- Binding/ Material