This Map is an original 1698 copper engraving (16th century...).
This is the rare Ptolemaic edition, updated for the second time by F. Halma & L. Strick, on Gerardus Mercator’s maps, published in 1698 in his amazing work: "Claudii Ptolemaei, Tabulae Geographicae Orbis Terrarum Veteribus Cogniti, Franciscus Halma, Utrecht & Leonard Strick... Etc, Etc, Etc; - AMSTERDAM - UTRECHT, by G. MERCATOR, 1698"
Beautiful map, very rich in details and embellishments, with wide margins, excellent water-colouring and very well detailed at every point.
In very good condition, as pictured: it shows small signs of ageing. Cuts or irrelevant holes at the edges do not affect the engraved area at all.
Map overall dimensions: 54 x 45 cm
- Country (current geographical location)
- Geographical specification
- Ceylon, Sri Lanka, India, Hindostan, Colombo, Galle, Jaffna
- Map maker/ publisher
- G. Mercator / Franciscus Halma / (C. Ptolemy) / L. Strick
- Map/ Book title
- Tab. XII Asiae Taprobanam
- Copper engraving
- Additional Information
- Original Folio Colored Copper Plate
- Size of the largest image
- 45×54 cm