Fine Incunabula woodcut showing the a scene from Book I from Virgil's Aeneid of 1502.
From the Sebastian Brandt edition of Virgil's works, 1502, with the woodcut prepared by the Johann Gruninger workshop with a dark rich tone.
Woodcut: 21.6 x 15.7 cm
Medieval woodcut leaf from the works of Virgil by Sebastian Brandt. This edition is rightly acclaimed for its magnificent series of woodcut illustrations by the anonymous Late Master of the Grüninger Workshop.
Good condition. Minor evidence of earlier mounting to verso.
Evidence of earlier mounting to verso; Marginal rust mark; Minor marginal restoration (no effecting woodcut).
- Single sheet
- Number of Books
- Incunabula & early printing
- Author/ Illustrator
- Master of Gruninger Workshop
- Book Title
- Virgil Aeneid: Solis, Juno, Ravages of Weather, Neptune, Medieval Galleons, Ships
- Very good
- Publication year oldest item
- 1st Edition Thus
- Original language
- Sebastian Brandt Edition, 1502
- Hand coloured illustrations
- 28.5×19 cm