Beautiful facsimilé edition of this Cologne Bible following the publication of this work 500 years earlier. Together with an explanatory note released in a limited edition of 1200 numbered copies.
- De Keulse Bijbel/ Die Kölner Bibel 1478/1479 - Amsterdam, Buijten & Schipperheijn / Hamburg, Friedrich Wittig, 1979. ca. 40 x 28.5 cm. No page numbers, bound in half leatherette binding.
- Prof. Dr. S. van der Woude. De Keulse Bijbel 1478 / 1479 in het licht der historie. Amsterdam, Buijten & Schipperheijn, 1979. 40 x 28.5 cm. 152 pp. Bound in half leatherette binding.
Text of the commentary in Dutch, English and German.
Both parts together in luxury matching cassette.
In good condition. Cassette minor signs of wear.
This faithful facsimilé was made after a Nether Rhine-language copy of the University Library in Amsterdam, after comparison with copies in other libraries. The explanatory notes with reproductions of the 100 drawings from the Berlin illustrated manuscript Ms. germ. Fol. 516 from the Berlin State Library. These drawings probably served as a model for the woodcuts in the Bible, of which the original printer is not known: it was either Henricus Quentell or Bartholomew of Unckel or a co-production of both.
According to Prof. Van der Woude, the Cologne bibles came about at a time when there was great criticism of church leaders. The depictions of cologne bibles are very critical of the clergy and leaders of the time.
- Number of Books
- Bibles, Facimilé, Keuls, Beautiful work, 15th century, Numbered, Commentary in Dutch, English and German, Religion
- Book Title
- Facsimile; De Keulse Bijbel / Die Kölner Bibel 1478/ 1479
- Very good
- Publication year oldest item
- Numbered edition
- Dutch, English, German
- Original language