Superb folio from Gessner's FIRST EDITION of the VOGELBUCH, 1557.
34.8 x 21.5 cm
Zurich: Christopher Froschauer, 1557.
Reference: Nissen Vogelbuch 59.
Conrad Gessner was a Renaissance polymath, a physician, philosopher, encyclopaedist, bibliographer, philologist, natural historian and illustrator.
The woodcuts for the work were undertaken by Hans Asper, Johann Thomas, and Lukas Schrön.
Later hand colour. A few minor marginal marks.
- Single sheet
- Number of Books
- Biology, Illustrated, Natural History, Ornithology
- Author/ Illustrator
- Gesner, Conrad 1516-1565 - Folio with 2 hand coloured woodcuts
- Book Title
- Ornithology: Woodpeckers with descriptive text - From the Rare First Edition in German
- Very good
- Publication year oldest item
- Publication year youngest item
- 1st Edition
- Original language
- Froschauer, Zurich