Original woodblock print - Abstract - Paper, Wood, Mixed Technique - Rikio Takahashi (1917-99) - "Things Kyoto" - Signed and numbered by the artist 7/37 - Japan - 1975
In good vintage condition, a wonderful work of art by Japanese artist Rikio Takahashi (1917-1999). The artwork is an original woodcut print from 1975, number 7/37, entitled 'Things Kyoto', and signed in pencil on the right. The back is made of wood in an aluminium frame with glass.
Some discolouration, small scratches, dents on the passe-partout and artwork, but not too bad considering its age.
Rikio Takahashi (1917-1999) was one of the last true sôsaku hanga (creative prints: 創作 版画) artists in Japanese abstract art inspired by nature.
He was a member of the First Thursday Society of Japanese print makers. Rikio Takahashi's work was part of the resurgence of artists' graphic arts in Japan after World War II.
Born in Tokyo in 1917, Takahashi originally trained as an oil painter, and shifted his focus to printmaking as an apprentice of Onchi Kôshirô between 1949 and 1955. Abstract art was banned by the Japanese government during wartime, and in the 1950s, rebirth was the main style of contemporary Japanese prints. After Takahashi completed his training under Kôshirô, concentrating mainly on woodblock techniques, he continued his studies at the 'California Institute of Arts' and remained active in printmaking until his death in 1999.
He participated in numerous group exhibitions, both in Japan and abroad, notably at the Tokyo International Print Biennial in 1962.
For his engravings he uses various plywood plates, on which he engraves the shapes and then applies the colours. He then prints each plate successively on the paper with the 'baren' - a traditional engraving tool in Japan. His compositions, a play of abstract shapes, draw inspiration from nature, especially the serenity of Japanese gardens.
Dimensions: Height: 41.5 cm x Width: 36.5 cm x Depth: 2 cm.
- Condition in accordance with age and use, such as the usual signs of wear.
- Please have a good look at the photos for a correct impression of the lot on offer and the exact condition of the object.
- You are purchasing the item in the condition as indicated in the photos.
- If you have any problems after your purchase, please always contact the seller first before posting negative feedback so that the seller can work with you to find a solution. We can always work it out together.
Well-packaged and registered shipping by PostNL Parcel Service, domestically and abroad. Please visit our Catawiki page catawiki.grooveydesign.nl with other vintage designer lots as well.
- Original woodblock print
- Polychrome woodblock printing
- Mixed Technique, Paper, Wood
- Region/ Country of origin
- Artist/ Maker
- Rikio Takahashi (1917-99)
- Decor/ ware
- Title of artwork
- "Things Kyoto" - Signed and numbered by the artist 7/37
- Good condition, see description
- 41.5×36.5×0 cm