The image here is of the vestiges of the Pantheon, the building as it was in the time that Lauro made his engravings. The statues on the pediment and marble cladding have been removed. The building was commissioned by Marcus Agrippa during the reign of Augustus (27 BC - 14 AD) and rebuilt by the emperor Hadrian about 126 AD. The building has been used as a church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs" since 609 AD. It is known for its coffered dome made of unreinforced concrete. It was also used as a tomb during the Renaissance, with artists, popes, and kings entombed there.
The verso of this leaf has descriptive text.
Lauro, Giacomo ( Jacobus Laurus )
Antiquae Urbis Splendor, Hoc Est Praecipua Eiusdem Templa Amphitheatra Theatra Circi Naumachiae Arcus Triumphales Mausolea .
Romae, Apresso Vitale Mascardi, Roma, 1624.
FINE ENGRAVING from one of the most influential and beautiful works on the monuments and antiquities of ancient Rome. The Antiquae urbis splendor, ('The Splendor of the Ancient City') served as an important reference book and source of inspiration for many writers and artists. Giacomo Lauro was a roman printmaker active from 1583 to about 1650.
- Giacomo Lauro (act.1583-1645)
- Title of artwork
- The Pantheon - Rome - Italy - 1624
- 1700 and before
- Not signed
- In good condition
- Total dimensions
- 26.2×20×0 cm