Fine Incunabula woodcut showing the a scene from Virgil's Aeneid. This edition from 1502 or thereabouts.
20.8 x 16.6 cm. Fine woodcut with full margins.
From the Sebastian Brandt edition of Virgil's works, with the woodcut prepared by the Johann Gruninger workshop with a dark rich tone.
Medieval woodcut leaf from the works of Virgil by Sebastian Brandt. This edition is rightly acclaimed for its magnificent series of woodcut illustrations by the anonymous Late Master of the Grüninger Workshop.
Good condition. Later hand colour. Very light staining.
- Single sheet
- Number of Books
- Incunabula & early printing, Militaria, Mythology, Sport, games & pastimes
- Author/ Illustrator
- Master of Gruninger Workshop
- Book Title
- Virgil Aeneid: Venus Speaks to Aeneas, Mercury, Carthage Achates - 1502
- Very good
- Publication year oldest item
- 1st Edition Thus
- Original language
- Sebastian Brandt Edition, 1502
- Hand coloured illustrations
- Number of pages
- 24×17.7 cm