19th century watch holder in wood, brass and mother-of-pearl marquetry. Remarkable work in the taste of Tahan.
The marquetry and quite exceptional, - so-called marquetry “à la reine” - in near mint condition. The red fabric is original. The glass is in perfect condition.
A button opens the lid to take out the watch in an inclined box.
Note: sold without the watch
This object can be compared to Tahan’s productions: The origins of Tahan House go back to the beginning of the 19th century in Belgium, when Pierre Lambert Tahan founded a workshop producing marquetry objects made from Spa wood. When he decided to leave Spa for Paris shortly before 1806, he worked there as a cabinetmaker and manufacturer of sets. In 1825, Pierre Lambert and his son, Jean Pierre Alexandre (1813-1892), ran two factories producing the same types of objects. In 1844, Pierre Lambert Tahan ceased all activity and left the management of his shop to his son. He then completely revolutionised the organisation of the company by separating the factory and the shop, located at 32 rue de la Paix. A year later, he was already listed as "Supplier to the King and Princes" and in 1855 he was named "Supplier to the Emperor". The Court then placed a large quantity of orders for libraries, tables, pedestal tables and necessities. However, Pierre Alexandre Tahan participated in the World' Fairs. After the fall of the Second Empire, the Tahan House could hardly forget the close relationship it had maintained with the Emperor. In 1882, the factory ceased production and the shop closed.
- Watch Holder in the Taste of Tahan
- Brass, Mother of pearl, Wood
- Napoleon III
- Estimated Period
- Late 19th century
- Country of Origin
- Good condition - used with small signs of ageing
- 7×7.5×9 cm