ABOUT THE WORK:
- The book was commissioned by the city of Barcelona to Doctor José Fornes to gather reliable information on the plague epidemic that razed the city of Marseille in 1720. The stories collected are heartbreaking.
It also collects the epidemics suffered by Marseille from 40 a.C.
This was the last outbreak of bubonic plague in Europe. In the book La construcción de la idea de la peste negra (1348-1350) como catástrofe demográfica en la historiografía española, this book is mentioned on page 67 and 68, reading it is recommended.
Currently there is no copy for sale (online) and there are very few in the Collective Catalogue of Spain’s Bibliographic Heritage.
CONDITION OF THE WORK:
Complete work. Pages: 40 + 120 + 264 + 6.
- Original binding in period parchment. The main problem of this book is the traces of bookworm at the beginning, from the frontispiece to page 48, barely affecting the text, and then from page 81 to the end, affecting the text in some places.
- Some darkened pages (p. 75 - 78 - 120 - 32) and little foxing in general,
- Number of Books
- Author/ Illustrator
- José Fornes
- Book Title
- Tractatus De Peste, Praecipue Gallo-provinciali, et Occitanica Grassanti In Quinque Partes Divisus
- Mixed / Multiple
- Publication year oldest item
- 1st Edition
- Original language
- Vda. Mariae Martí (Barcelona)
- Binding/ Material
- Number of pages
- 31×21 cm