Antique early 20th Century American sterling silver tea caddy/cookie jar with repoussé metalwork of floral decorations in high relief.
Made in USA, 19th century.
Made by Samuel Kirk & Son
Samuel Kirk (February 15, 1793 - July 6, 1872) was an American silversmith, active in Baltimore, Maryland, and best known for his introduction of repoussé to the United States.
In 1815 Samuel Kirk opened a neighborhood silver store in Baltimore, what would eventually become the Kirk Stieff Corporation, the oldest surviving, highly prestigious silver company in the U.S
Kirk silver, or “Baltimore silver” is instantly recognizable by its hand-crafted repousse technique – hammering the reverse side of silver to produce an intricate design in low relief -- which Samuel Kirk introduced to America in 1828. Customers especially desired his repousee tea services, bowls, and flatware with elaborate floral patterns and architectural images. Kirks’ reputation for meticulous craftsmanship and innovative design spread nationwide; famous assignments included renovating 550 pieces of gold flatware belonging to the White House dinner service and creating a 48-piecee dinner service with scenes of Maryland’s history for the sailboat Maryland.
Diameter: 12.5 cm
Height: 18 cm
Weight: 712 grams
Condition: General used, fantastic condition.
Comes in the original box.
* All items are cleaned and inspected before being dispatched.
* Item will be safely and securely packaged and shipped within one to two working days.
* Please note: customs and import charges may apply for international buyers, bidders are responsible for any customs duties fees.
* Shipping price includes express delivery service (one to two working days), full insurance, and packaging.
* Colours of the product may slightly differ from the photos due to different computer screen colourations.
- Koekjestrommel / Theebus
- .925 zilver
- Ontwerper / kunstenaar
- Samuel Kirk & Son
- Samuel Kirk & Son
- Geschatte periode
- Land van herkomst
- Uitstekende staat - nauwelijks gebruikt met minimale gebruikssporen en tekenen van ouderdom
- 712 g