A remarkable and rare set gathering 95 superb plates including 93 watercolours in a full veal binding of the time. especially sought after for its plates.
Full coated calf binding. Golden roulettes framing the cover boards, smooth spine with flat bands symbolized by 5 guilloche fillets. 5 adorned golden florets adorn this spine where there is only the author mentioned in gold letters.
Bound in this high volume:
- ‘Le Lavater portatif ou précis de l'art de connaître les hommes par les traits du visage augmentee d'une notice sur la vie de Lavater’, 33 colour plates including the frontispiece representing Lavater. Paris, at Saintin, 1815. 6th edition.
- ‘Le Lavater des Dames’. 30 plates including 28 watercolours. 5th edition Enhanced with a notice about the personality of women in the various countries of Europe. Paris, Saintin, 1815.
- ‘L'art de connaitre les hommes sur leurs attitudes leurs gestes et leurs démarches’ with 32 coloured plates. Paris, Saintin, 1813.
A total of 95 plates including 93 coloured plates. 235 pages. Complete.
Lavater is famous for his work on physiognomy, according to which the observation of a person's physique, especially his face, allows to know his personality, his feelings and his emotions. Lavater's work introduced a wide audience to the study of physiognomy, which reached its peak during the 19th century.
In very good condition for a 205 year old book!! The corners are barely blunt and the headcaps a little rubbed. The hinges are a little fragile. Fresh interior with little traces and holes.
- Number of Books
- History, Medicine, Natural History, Reference works
- Author/ Illustrator
- Johann Kasper Lavater
- Book Title
- Le Lavater Portatif / Le Lavates des Dames et l'Art de connaitre les Hommes ...
- Very good
- Publication year oldest item
- Publication year youngest item
- Illustrated Edition
- Original language
- Binding/ Material
- 93 colored plates
- Number of pages
- 13.5×9.5 cm