This Map is an original 1599 copper engraving (16th century...).
This is the rare Ptolemaic edition, updated for the second time by F. Halma & L. Strick, on Gerardus Mercator’s maps, published in 1698 in his amazing work: Claudii Ptolemaei, Tabulae Geographicae Orbis Terrarum Veteribus Cogniti, Franciscus Halma, Utrecht & Leonard Strick... Etc, Etc, Etc; - Amsterdam - Utrecht by G. Mercator, 1698"
Beautiful map, very rich in details and embellishments, with wide margins, excellent water-colouring and very well detailed at every point.
The map is in very good condition, as per photos: it shows small signs of ageing, cuts or irrelevant holes at the edges do not affect at all the engraved area.
Map overall dimensions: 54 x 45 cm
- Country (current geographical location)
- Geographical specification
- Merocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Gibraltar
- Map maker/ publisher
- G. Mercator / Franciscus Halma / (C. Ptolemy) / L. Strick
- Map/ Book title
- Tab. I° Africae, in qua Mauritania, Tingitana et Caesariensis
- Copper engraving
- Additional Information
- Original Folio Colored Copper Plate
- Size of the largest image
- 45×54 cm