Superb folio from Gessner's FIRST EDITION of the FISCHBUCH, 1563.
34.8 x 21.5 cm
Zurich: Christopher Froschauer, 1563.
Reference: Nissen Fischbuch 59.
Conrad Gessner was a Renaissance polymath, a physician, philosopher, encyclopaedist, bibliographer, philologist, natural historian and illustrator.
The woodcuts for the work were undertaken by Hans Asper, Johann Thomas, and Lukas Schrön.
Later hand colour. Some minor age related marks and some age toning to leaf.
- Single sheet
- Number of Books
- Biology, Illustrated, Natural History
- Author/ Illustrator
- Gesner, Conrad 1516-1565 - Folio with hand coloured woodcut & descriptive text on one leaf
- Book Title
- Fish: Flatfish, Rhombus [Ein Glattblutt]
- Publication year oldest item
- Publication year youngest item
- 1st Edition
- Original language
- Froschauer, Zurich