Russian icon of the 19th century. The "Mother of God of Tikhvin"
The icon depicted shows the Mother of God of Tikhvin (Tikhvinskaya). According to the legend the original picture of the Mother of God of Tikhvin appeared in 1383 under supernatural lighting in the town Tikhvin in Russia. At the place where the icon was found, a wooden church was built on the banks of the River Tichwinka in honour of the death of Our Lady. In 1560 a monastery was added. Characteristic of this representation of the Mother of God is the lateral sitting posture of the child and the lowered right leg, so that the bare sole of the foot can be seen. Christ raises his right hand for a blessing, and is holding a scroll in his left hand.
The Mother of God of Tikhvin is one of the most important Russian images of Our Lady along with the Mother of God of Vladimir, Smolensk, Kazan and Korsun.
Egg tempera on wooden board. With a sponki on the back. Signs of use
26.3 x 21.8 x 2 cm
Country of origin: A private collection
- Icon, Mother of God of Tikhvin. Russia. 19th century
- Estimated Period
- Second half 19th century
- Country of Origin
- Fair condition - heavily used & with possibly minor parts missing
- 263×20×218 cm