Exceptional book dedicated to Jean Giraudoux.
Good copy, most certainly established by Jacques Crépineau a theatre critic and director of several Parisian theatres.
It is a collection of works by and around Jean Giraudoux.
It opens with the first edition of Tombeau vy Jean Giraudoux, plays by Jean de Beer in tribute to Giraudoux, illustrated with 4 full-page colour compositions by Georges Douking. Numbered copy on vellum paper (n° 862), enriched with a series of colour illustrations.
Copy bearing a long and beautiful autograph from the author addressed to Jacques Crépineau, covering the entire half title page, and enriched with an autograph page by the author, whose text is entitled Tragédie, a typescript signed and corrected by the author, and an autograph card by the latter. (See photos)
Bradel-style modern binding in half cloth, smooth spine, gilded top edges, uncropped.
In very good condition.
BEER (Jean de). Tombeau de Jean Giraudoux. Paris: Jean Vigneau, 1946. Print run of 1,700 copies. 4to of 28 x20 60 pp.
Bound in succession:
- 6 issues of La Petite Illustration featuring plays by Giraudoux: Siegfried. Play in four acts (No. 396, 25 August 1928) - Amphitryon 38. Comedy in three acts (n° 471, 15 March 1930). Enriched with a black and white photograph of Paul Colin's poster. - Intermezzo. Comedy in three acts. (No. 625, 6 May 1933). - La Guerre de Troie d'aura pas lieu. Play in two acts (No. 751, 14 December 1935). Enriched with a press article on the play by Jacques Lemarchand. - Électre. Play in two acts (No. 826, 19 June 1937). - Ondine. Play in three acts after the tale of Frédéric de La Motte Fouqué (n° 933, August 26, 1939).
- Program of the Comédie Française for the play Électre performed in 1959 directed by Pierre Dux.
- Brochure entitled Le Théâtre de Jean Giraudoux, enriched with a silver print of a press photograph by the Trampus agency, representing Jean Giraudoux and Jacques Hébertot at the time of the reading of Sodom and Gomorrah on August 18, 1943.
- Chemise de l'Athénée, in which the reproduction of a drawing by Bérard was placed for the décor of a room. This reproduction is taken from a journal.
- Number of Books
- Art, Illustrated, Theatre
- Author/ Illustrator
- Jean Giraudoux / Jean de Beer / Georges Douking
- Book Title
- Tombeau de Jean Giraudoux, Ill Douking [Relié avec] Siegfried. Amphitryon. Intermezzo. Électre
- Publication year oldest item
- 1st Edition
- Original language
- Binding/ Material
- Number of pages
- 28×20 cm