Major H. Davidson - History and services of the 78th highlanders : 2 volume set
Volume 1 : 231 pages (1901)
Volume 2 : 203 pages (including index) (1901)
- Published 1901
- Gilt and tooled decorations to front boards - Gilt titles to spines - Half leather binding -
- Illustrated throughout with full-page coloured, and non-coloured tissue-guarded plates depicting the types of uniforms worn by the 78th highlanders, historic figures, monuments, and maps of where battles had taken place
- Volume 1 contains a large fold-out map at the rear of the book depicting the operations for the relief of Lucknow in September and November 1857
- Volume 2 also contains a tissue-guarded piece of material used in the highland dress
This set is in good condition -
- Clean bright contents
- Firm bindings
- Loss to base of spine on volume 2; small loss to top and base of spine in volume 1; otherwise all fine
A very scare, decorative collector's set.
Some of the topics discussed include the clan Mackenzie; First raising of permanent highlands corps for service under the crown; The French revolution; 1st and 2nd battalions amalgamated; Napoleon and Portugal; Withdrawal to the Alam Bagh; Visit to St. Helena; among many others.