Rare collection of several pieces serving modern history, the titles of which are on the following page. [Follow-up to] Relation of the Court of Rome, made in the year 1661 to the Council of Pregadi, by the Most Excellent Lord Angelo Corraro Ambassador of the Serenissima Republic of Venice to Pope Alexander VII.
The first book is a collection of historical pieces in original edition. The most important of them are from the Count of Montrésor.
There are the following parts:
- Speech of a plotted treason against King Henri IV, in the year 1604
- Negotiation made in Milan with the late Prince of Condé
- The retirement of Monsieur in Flanders, and his return
- The imprisonment of Puylaurens. Monsieur's retreat to Blois. His accommodation
- Summons of the rear ban for the siege of Corbie
- Memoirs of what happened in the case of Monsieur le Grand
- Memoir of Monsieur de Fonterailles, of what happened at Court during the favor of Monsieur le Grand
- Investigation of the trial and execution of Messrs. le Grand and de Thou
- Memorandum concerning the affairs of the Count of Soissons, and the Dukes of Bouillon and Guise
- France's motives for the war in Germany, and what was her conduct therein
- Letter from a foreigner on the subject of peace between France and Spain.
The second work (Relation de la Cour de Rome) is attributed by Barbier to Ch. de Ferrare de Tot, adviser to the Parliament of Rouen, and would have been printed for the first time by L. Maurry in Rouen.
Corraro's actual account, handwritten, is very different from the present account. Even if it is apocryphal, this report is nevertheless interesting as a review of the characters of the Court of Rome (cardinals, dignitaries, Roman patricians) at a very critical moment in Alexander VII's relations with France (the incidents caused by the so-called "Affair of the Corsicans", with the murder of the French ambassador).
Cte de Montresor and Angelo Corraro - Collection followed by Relation of the Court of Rome - 1663
Correct condition of the binding, work in its full period vellum with small flaps, tendency to unpin, good condition of the covers and the spine, rubbing from use, handwritten title on the spine -
Good condition inside, the title page of the first book is missing, but the text of the collection is collated complete, some waterstains and foxing, pagination errors in the text without loss, second title with thumbnail of the armillary sphere -
Delivery service guaranteed within a few days -